A golden humming cloud of honeybees arrived unexpectedly one sunny June morning and moved into a knothole in the siding of the house. Three weeks later, Mr. E. helped these mysterious creatures into a comfy wooden box in his garden and began to live the lifelong dream of herding millions of stinging insects and collecting their sweet honey. Please enjoy the adventures of Mr. E's Mysterious Bees.





February 5, 2010

Tasmania


My dear Tasmanian friend visited this week from New York and brought me a gift from her dad in Tasmania. He kept bees for a while and thought I should have this book.  It really meant a lot to me.  I met him when he came to visit San Francisco many years ago.  We had a great time at a trivia night held at a local pub. If not for him, we would have lost.  He knew every single answer to the questions about the Olympics.  They had booked a hotel on 6th and Market, an area notorious for drug dealers and sex workers and violent crime.  We were concerned that they would get a bad impression of our fair city, but all her dad noticed was the local wildlife:  pigeons, grackles, crows.  When he and his wife came to visit again, my friend took them to Big Sur for a few days.  I was working and could not go along, but I sent a bunch of natural history field guides along with them and hoped it would make their visit more pleasurable. 

I guess he remembered the kindness and returned the favor by sending me his beekeeping manual and permit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment