A golden humming cloud of honeybees arrived unexpectedly one sunny June morning and moved into a knothole in the siding of the house. Three weeks later, Mr. E. helped these mysterious creatures into a comfy wooden box in his garden and began to live the lifelong dream of herding millions of stinging insects and collecting their sweet honey. Please enjoy the adventures of Mr. E's Mysterious Bees.





February 22, 2010

Rainy Plum Blooms

The rain is here again.  Just in time to knock all the blooms off the plum tree.  The bees are flying this morning even though it is raining.  The newly opened flowers must have an irresistible nectar flow that they would brave the raindrops and cold.  I went out to get some dino kale out of the side garden this morning and was admiring and lamenting all the blossoms lying on the wet ground when I heard a weak buzzing sound.  I looked down and saw a young foraging bee walking around on the sidewalk.  She must have gotten knocked out of the air by the sudden hard rain a few minutes ago.  I picked her up on a leaf of kale and carried her back to the hives.  She was cold and weak when I set her on the landing board of what I hoped was her hive.  50/50 chance.  I hope she made it back inside to warm up. 

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I wonder what lore and myth about the big "Tenders" that bees weave with their dances.

    "He picked me up and carried me back here to you! I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am the one who rips open their house and pours sugar on them while wearing a white suit. A cross between Santa and Godzilla.

    ReplyDelete