A golden humming cloud of honeybees arrived unexpectedly one sunny June morning and moved into a knothole in the siding of the house. Three weeks later, Mr. E. helped these mysterious creatures into a comfy wooden box in his garden and began to live the lifelong dream of herding millions of stinging insects and collecting their sweet honey. Please enjoy the adventures of Mr. E's Mysterious Bees.





August 27, 2011

Mobile Bee Observatory

I went over to Berkeley this afternoon to have a look at a show at the Berkeley Art Museum and stumbled upon an event celebrating the 40th birthday of Chez Panisse.  OPENed  Amongst all the urban farmers, youth food education tables, artists, performers and musicians I found a display of beautifully painted bee hives and an enormous observation hive.  I wandered over, dragging my unwilling companion closer to the bees flying in and out.  I observed the IV drip bag of sugar water to the side and watched as the mastermind of this display, Rob Keller of the Napa Valley Bee Company,  squeezed the sweet liquid directly into the hive.  In an instant the bees lined up and began feeding on the sugar water.

I struck up a conversation with the wild eyed enthusiast and we discussed the terrible dearth of food for the bees this year.  He told the crowd they better stock up on local honey now because there wasn't going to be much of it.  We pretty much cleared the area with our detailed bee crazy conversation and I could feel my friend fading a bit in interest.  I quickly made arrangements to have a look at Rob's operation up in Napa and then headed back to San Francisco. 




No comments:

Post a Comment