A golden humming cloud of honeybees arrived unexpectedly one sunny June morning and moved into a knothole in the siding of the house. Three weeks later, Mr. E. helped these mysterious creatures into a comfy wooden box in his garden and began to live the lifelong dream of herding millions of stinging insects and collecting their sweet honey. Please enjoy the adventures of Mr. E's Mysterious Bees.





August 14, 2008

My bee sting is settling down and I can bend my elbow again. I finally figured out that a combination of the homeopathic bee remedy, lots of advil and smears of arnica gel on the swollen area make it so instead of ten days of itching and painful swelling, I get three days of swelling, very little pain and no itch! Magic medicine.

I screwed up on the honey filtering the other day and contaminated about a gallon of honey with water from the anti-ant bucket that the whole contraption was sitting in overnight. It seeped in through the gate valve at the bottom of the bucket. Either it is not watertight or I did not screw the valve shut hard enough. Either way, now I have a gallon of watery honey. I am going to feed it back to the bees as soon as I can get one of those goofy feeders that looks like a mayonnaise jar turned upside down and screwed to a wooden platform. I still can't figure out how sugar water or honey won't just flow out due to that thing called gravity, but somehow it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment