A golden humming cloud of honeybees arrived unexpectedly one sunny June morning and moved into a knothole in the siding of the house. Three weeks later, Mr. E. helped these mysterious creatures into a comfy wooden box in his garden and began to live the lifelong dream of herding millions of stinging insects and collecting their sweet honey. Please enjoy the adventures of Mr. E's Mysterious Bees.





February 18, 2009

Cleaning Up

When I got home there was a break in the rain so I cleaned up the soggy fermented bee hive stuff I have had sitting out in the rain in the side yard for about a month now. It was nasty and messy and rewarding to finish that job up and get them out of my sight and all neatly scraped and bleached. I need one free sunny day to open the hives up so I can see how they are doing and give them some more space so they can draw out more comb. I hated throwing all that hard work of theirs away today, but it was covered in mold and beyond saving. They must be really hungry because they were flying in between rain showers to try to get every last drop of good honey out of those gross frames. I need to make them some bee patties but I lost the recipe. Bee patties are like little bee hamburgers made out of brewer's yeast and sugar and some other stuff. It helps them get through the winter. Seems like they need it right now.

Yesterday I totally blew up my kitchen and made taper candles and also painted the new hive boxes. Why? Because I have a pile of paperwork on my desk I am avoiding. Technically, these things were on my to do list, so now I can check something off. The discount paint I bought for the beehives seems to perfectly match my bathroom so I can use it to paint over the blotches and mold spots. One step at a time. Soon I will have the most beautiful bathroom IN THE UNIVERSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment